Sunday, November 22, 2009

72 hours!!!


My parents got us one of the best Christmas presents I've received- ok, an early Christmas present. It was a 72 hour kit from Emergency Essentials. Well, actually two kits- one to stay in the car and another, more substantial kit for the apartment. I wasn't planning on reviewing it, but I'll evaluate it as best as I can in case someone else is interested in getting a 72 hour kit.

Contents-
(According to the manufacturer)

Trekker II™ Emergency Kit (K7-M520)
Contents: Qty
3600-Calorie Food Bar 2
Candy Piece 12
Aqua Blox 12
Katadyn Micropur Tablet 4
Hand and Body Warmer 6
Emergency Poncho 2
Emergency Sleeping Bag 2
Tube Tent 1
Box of Strike-Anywhere Matches 1
Trioxane Fuel Bar 1
Whistle with Lanyard 1
Lightstick 1
LED Headlamp with Batteries 1
AM/FM Radio with Batteries 1
5-in-1 Surival Whistle 1
100-Hour Emergency Candle 1
N95 Respirator Mask 2
Sunscreen Towelette 2
Roll of Toilet Paper 2
Disaster/Hygiene Kit 1
Preparedness Checklist 1
Medium Daypack 1
Large Daypack 1
Multifunction Tool 1
Emergency Tape 1

Overall, I think the kit is great- it gets the basics into a compact, lightweight package. It does exactly what a 72 hour kit should- gets you through 3 days without being completely miserable. You won't die in 3 days without food or water, but you sure won't be comfortable.

Good Stuff-
There's a lot of things in this kit that I was excited about:

  • Water- enough water two last for 3 days, tightly rationed, though. It's stored in little juice box type packaging, which works well enough. Fortunately, the kit also includes purification tablets, so if you can find a water source, you're in good shape.
  • Food- in high-calorie bar form. I'm sure it's not that tasty, but it's compact, light, in waterproof packaging, and will at least give you much-needed energy.
  • Fuel bars- I need to test these, but these mil-spec fire starters should get a cooking or heating fire going in a hurry.
  • Emergency candle- I really like this long lasting, clean burning candle. Sure beats wearing down your flashlight batteries.
  • First Aid kit- I went through this last night, and for its purposes, it a perfectly fine kit. It includes plenty of antiseptic/antimicrobial wipes, bandages, and even toothbrushes.I would include more gauze, though. You can never have enough gauze. It also includes...feminine hygiene products...which is something I never would have thought of but it sure shows a lot of foresight on the part of the manufacturer.
  • Hand warmers- these are wonderful. Nothing better on a freezing cold night than to put some hand warmers in your gloves. Not necessarily a life saver, but they sure would decrease discomfort.
  • Toilet Paper- another one of those things I might have forgotten until...it was too late.
Marginal Stuff-
A few things I would modify/replace-
  • Multitool- Now I'm a tool guy, so the cheap multitool included just doesn't cut it. Sure, it's better than nothing, but if you really need a tool, I would go with a Leatherman Wave. Of course, a Leatherman costs almost as much as the kit itself, so I can't go too hard on Emergency Essentials.
  • Radio- Won't cut it either. It doesn't work well under ideal conditions, so I wouldn't trust it in an emergency to get weather updates, etc. I would upgrade to a better radio, or even better, a 5 watt handheld ham radio
  • Tube tent- better than nothing, but I added a tarp as well.

Overall, it's a great kit, and I think it's at a fair price. You might be able to put one together yourself for a bit less, but this one gets most everything all at once. I would, though, consider it as a starting place. You should add items as necessary. We added a dozen diapers for the baby, and we should also include a week's worth of prescription medicines. I'll also include a water bottle in each backpack. Extra socks and clothes should be added too. Fortunately the included backpacks leave plenty of room for additional items.

Well, this post breaks my "short post" rule, but I thought it would be useful to provide an evaluation of the kind of kit every family should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment